Gunia Project is a brand of exceptional things produced on the basis of traditional ethnic cultures. Each collection is a unique combination of design thinking, deep ethnographic research and artistic approach towards craftsmanship.
The brand employs folk crafts and gives heed to the slightest details of traditional culture to create designer artisanal pieces perfectly fit for the needs of everyday life.
Gunia Project’s collection includes garments, accessories and home decor:
- shaggy woven wool coats named gunias, originally worn by Hutsuls in the Carpathian Mountains
- silk, wool and cambric headscarves
- artisanal hot-blown glass vases, candelabrums etc.
- gilded silver jewelry inspired by Kievan Rus
- hand painted ceramics
- pleated baskets with traditional belt called "zapaska"
The project’s mission is to evolve and present Ukrainian craftsmanship to the European countries and the world. On the local market it competes with so-called low-quality «folk» souvenirs and reboots the conception of Ukrainian traditionally crafted commodity.
We are interested in supporting Ukrainian workshops and ateliers such as linen, wool manufactures or potteries or glassblowers, which yet do not correspond to the standards of designer industry.
The reasonable assortment of pieces in every collection is a conscious gesture. It reflects our big dream to create unique things with a story and avoid overproduction.